Through the Fire and Flames: The Truth About Asbestos and House Fires
Category: News , • February 15, 2022

As the cold persists, homeowners are more and more likely to rely upon unsafe warming practices for their property.

From using extension cords with heat-producing appliances to keeping flammable objects — like blankets or furniture — too close to sources of heat and more, the bottom line is that winter-time house fires are all too common.

What’s more, these emergency events may pose a danger in more ways than one. Here’s what you need to consider:

Feeling the Post-Holiday Heat

“Heating was the second leading cause of home fires after cooking,” according to the National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM) regarding the holiday season. “Twenty-nine percent of the nonconfined home heating fires — fires that spread past the object of origin — happened because the heat source (like a space heater or fire place) was too close to things that can burn.”

In fact, according to the Red Cross, “nearly 47,000 fires occur during the winter holidays claiming more than 500 lives, causing more than 2,200 injuries, and costing $554 million in property damage.”

But such incidences are not confined to the holiday season. After all, the frigid winter temperatures are liable to continue for several months thereafter, meaning it’s important that homeowners remain vigilant regarding their warming methods.

The Exposure of Asbestos

Another reason home fires may become exceedingly dangerous? Because of asbestos.

“Asbestos was used in construction materials for its durability and resistance to chemicals and heat,” according to “During a fire, asbestos-containing materials may be exposed, disturbed or destroyed. Airborne asbestos fibers can pose a health risk to anyone in the vicinity.”

In other words, following a house fire, asbestos may put numerous people at risk of hazardous exposure, including:

  • The homeowners and residents both during the fire and potentially upon return
  • Community neighbors who are also subjected to the smoke
  • Firefighters and first responders who come on-scene
  • Remediation professionals who deal with the aftermath
  • And more

Warming Up to Luce Air Quality

In some cases, individuals may choose — or find it necessary — to demolition the remainder of the property if it is unsalvageable. However, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that these properties be surveyed for asbestos and other potential hazards beforehand.

In other instances, homeowners find that it is better to simply undergo an asbestos survey for precautionary measures before a fire takes place.

In either case, Luce Air Quality is ready and available to help you assess your property for the presence of asbestos!

Our certified and licensed team of indoor environmental experts can effectively help you to determine both the location(s) and quantity of asbestos present in your property. From demolition to renovation, remodeling, and recovery, we’re here to empower you with answers.

To learn more, reach out to our team today by calling (904) 803-1014! We look forward to helping you breathe a sigh of relief.

Book Now